How to get kissed on top of the Empire State Building
The Empire State Building is known as one of the most romantic places in NYC, but it has to be done just right or else it could feel like any other tourist trap. I went with my kids and parents once. It was fun. But romantic? No way. So last week for our anniversary, I wanted to try it again. And this time, I wanted do things differently to see if the Empire State Building really could be romantic.
1. Timing. This is most important. Go after the crowds die down at 12am. Last elevator up at 1:15am and everything closes at 2am.
2. Bad Weather. Go on a rainy day/cold/imperfect weather day. You'll have the place to yourself. We went on a day that I swore we would cancel due to rain, but right before we went up, the sky cleared.
3. Plan ahead. Buy tickets before you get there and avoid the hassle of waiting in line. Thanks NYCTrip.com for sending me tickets ahead of time! When I got to the building, I felt like Meg Ryan breezing right to the 86th floor at the end of Sleepless in Seattle. She must have planned ahead too. ha
4. Your date. Go with your favorite person in all the world.
5. Wait for right moment. There will be people asking you to take their picture and a few packs of giggling girls, but I promise you'll get a moment that can only be filled with a kiss. Wait for it.
6. Exit Though the Gift Shop. Afterwards, buy something cheesy from the gift shop. We bought an Empire State Building cookie and a coke. When we walked out of the building, we found a bench and tried to look all the way to the top of the building. The cookie was surprisingly good.
7. Flowers. Flowers on the walk home completes the night. Even if they are carnations.
So did my plan work? Of course. The kiss? As good as any movie. Happy Anniversary Rob. Love you.